Handphone : Nokia 6500 slide
Location : Tugu Muda, Semarang
Edit : PS CS3
Tugu Muda is a historical building from the city of Semarang, Central Java province. Tugu Muda is the Youth Monument instituted to commemorate the heroic fight for independence.
Historically inaugurated by President Soekarno on 20 May 1953 to commemorate the battle 5 days 5 nights between the youth of Semarang with a Japanese battalion led by Major Kido on a date 14 to 19 October 1945. History says when the Japanese forces that drove the Dutch took over the Indonesian territory on the pretext of the elder brother of Asia. But the Japanese were even worse than the Dutch, they killed more cruel to the inhabitants who did not obey his orders.Consists of part of the foundation, body and head. Pasa side of the monument there is a relief basis. The whole monument is made of stone. To reinforce the impression tugunya, ornamental ponds and gardens created at around the monument. The buildings are located around the mace Sewu Tugumuda Starting from the idea to build a monument to commemorate the events of the Battle of Five days in Semarang.
Lawang Sewu was designed by C. Citroen, from the firm of J.F. Klinkhamer and B.J. Quendag. Construction began in 1904 with A building, which was completed in 1907. The rest of the complex was finished in 1919. It was initially used by theNederlandsch Indische Spoorweg Maatschaappij, the national railway of the Dutch East Indies.
After the Japanese invaded Indonesia in 1942, the Japanese army took over Lawang Sewu. The basement of B building was turned into a prison, with several executions taking place there. When Semarang was retaken by the Dutch in the battle of Semarang in October 1945, the Dutch forces used the tunnel leading into A building to sneak into the city. A battle ensued, with numerous Indonesian fighters dying. Five employees working there were also killed.
After the war, the Indonesian army took over the complex. It was later returned to the national railway company.
By 2009 the Lawang Sewu complex was in a state of considerable dilapidation. Simon Marcus Gower, writing in The Jakarta Post, noted it as being "dark and evidently sick. Its white walls are faded throughout; blackened by pollution and neglect. Rendered walls are cracked and any wall paper has long since fallen away to reveal the red bricks beneath. Mould and weeds grow over much of the building and mice and rats are the chief residents."
The building soon underwent renovations to ensure that it would be profitable as a tourist attraction. Governor of Central JavaBibit Waluyo mobilized several dozen soldiers to assist with the renovations; the soldiers focused on external repairs. Local residents were disappointed in the renovations, opining that it had lost its authenticity.On 5 July 2011 the newly renovated complex was inaugurated by First Lady Ani Yudhoyono. However, at the time only B building was available for tours. It is hoped to be a main attraction in the Central Javan Government's tourism program in 2013